Click here to go to the main page

Barger-Oosterveld (Dr): St. Gerardus Majella (H. Kroes, 1905-1906; J.Th.J. Cuypers & P. Cuypers jr., 1922-1923)


The village of Barger-Oosterveld dates from the late-19th century when it was a settlement of mostly catholic peat-diggers. A church was built in 1905-1906. It was a one-aisled, two traves short towerless neo-Gothic building designed by H. Kroes. Due to an increase of the catholic population this church soon became too small. In 1922-1923 it was enlarged by J.Th.J. Cuypers and his son P. Cuypers jr. by adding side-aisles. In 1937 the church was enlarged once more, by an unknown architect this time, by lengthening the nave towards the west and adding an extra trave to each side-aisle, as well as a portal to the nave. The church was thus transformed into a hall-church. The side-aisles are divided in three traves, each of which has a roof of its own. Of the original church little more is left than the choir.

Back to Churches in the province of Drenthe

Back to Emmen municipality

Back to J.Th.J. Cuypers

Back to H. Kroes