Grou (Fr): reformed
This is a big one-aisled church which, despite numerous changes, has
largely kept its Romanesque appearance. The church was built out of
tuff in the first half of the 12th century. About a hundred years later
the walls of nave were heightened in a combination of brick and tuff,
as well as the choir using tuff mostly. The current tower was built
around an older core in the 15th century. At that time the nave was
lenthened and once again heightened. Early 16th century the choir was
heightened again as well. The current roofs date from ca. 1520.
The northern side of the church is well-preserved, clearly showing
the traces of the various changes. The southern side however has
suffered from more recent changes. Most if the outside wall
on this side has been replaced, while large windows in Gothic style
were added to the nave. After the reformation large windows were added
to the choir as well, damaging the decorative friezes. In the 18th
century a small wooden tower was added to the roof of the choir.