Click here to go to the main page

Andelst (G): reformed church




The church of Andelst, known as St. Vitus in catholic times, is one of the oldest churches of the Netherlands. It was built in the 11th century but was since radically altered. The oldest part is the one-aisled nave. The south-side wall shows the original Romanesque style and is built of irregular pieces of different sorts of  natural stone. The small Romanesque windows are reconstructions based on old traces. The north wall of the was rebuilt in brick in simple Classical style in 1794. The west wall is probably younger the south wall, since it was built of stones in a more regular pattern. The tower was built in ca. 1400. The Gothic choir dates from the year 1440. The church was restored in 1928-1930.
 

 

 

 

 
Back to Churches in the province of Gelderland

Back to the Overbetuwe municipality