Click here to go to the main page

Apeldoorn (G): St. Theresia (J.G.A. van Dongen, 1939)

Although already in the 1920's the founding of a third parish in Apeldoorn was being considered, and money was collected, for its church, preparations did not begin until 1937. The new church, the St. Theresia or St.Teresia, was to be build in the new north-eastern part of the city. Like the second parish church, the H.H. Fabianus en Sebastianus, the St. Theresia was designed by architect Jan van Dongen and is of the christocentric type, being designed to allow for an optimal view for all at the altar. Remarkably, even though space perfectly allowed it, the church was not oriented, the choir pointing towards the north-east. Although the exterior suggests otherwise, it has a wide one-aisled nave. At the front is a modest portal. Next to the first trave is a polygonal baptistry. At the back of the nave is a tower, the lower part of which is the choir. The church is in a Traditionalist style related to the Delft School, similar to Van Dongen's other churches from this decade. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Back to Churches in the province of Gelderland

Back to Apeldoorn

Back to J.G.A. van Dongen