Barneveld (G): reformed church
The reformed church, originally dedicated to St. Odulphus, is probably best
known for the fact that in 1482 knight Jan van Schaffelaar jumped off its tower.
The church was originally built in the 14th-century or earlier as cruciform
church of unknown width. While sources claim the church was in Gothic style, its
tower was and is Romanesque and was possibly built in the 13th century. In the 15th century the nave was rebuilt into a
hall-church, with three aisles of almost equal height and width. In the same
period two sections in a Gothic style were added to the tower, which was given a
balustrade around the spire.
The church was destroyed and rebuilt twice, but the main change appears to
have been the replacement of the wooden vaults by ones made out of brick. The
tower was completely rebuilt in 1828, after a fire destroyed it the previous
While the central aisle ends in a polygonally closed choir, the side-aisles
have straight lateral choirs. During a restoration by G. van Hoogevest between
1927 and 1930, transept-arms with galeries were added to both sides of the nave
to create more space for the growing community. Unusually, these transept-arms
are shaped like short side-aisles and have roofs that run paralel to those of the nave.