Bergharen (G): reformed church
the 11th or 12th century a Romanesque chapel was built in
Bergharen. In ca. 1350, when Bergharen became a parish, the chapel was
enlarged to become a church. A tower was built in front of the nave,
the former facade now forming the eastern wall of the tower.
tower, which features Romanesque details, was built-in by a
three-aisled pseudo-basilican nave. This nave was replaced in
1475-1525 by the current one, which is pseudo-basilican as well. It
seems likely that it was intended to heighten or replace the tower, but
this never happened.
1611 the church became protestant. Both in 1798 amd 1809 the
catholic majority unsuccessfully tried to regain its possesion. Even an
offer by the catholics to finance a new church for the tiny protestant
community was not accepted. In 1826 the original Romanesque choir,
flanked by lateral chapels, was demolished
and the arches at the east-end of the nave were filled in.