Click here to go to the main page

Eibergen (G): St. Mattheus, (J.H. Sluijmer, 1934-1935)

In 1616 Eibergen was conquered by protestant troops, who disbanded the parish and handed the church to the protestant community. The catholics of Eibergen attended the church in Groenlo until 1627, when that town was also conquered by the protestants. The catholic faith was forbidden and the remaining catholics had to practice their religion in secret. Only between 1672 and 1674, when the bishop of Münster conquered the area, did the old church return to the catholics, who could openly practice their faith. When protestant rule was restored, the catholics went to Zwillbrock (Germany) to attend services.
In 1795 religious freedom was proclaimed in The Netherlands, and the catholics of Eibergen turned a farmhouse into a church, which soom became too small. In 1822-1824 a true church was built, which in 1875-1876 was already replaced by a larger, Neo-Gothic church, designed by A. Tepe. This building did not last long either; it was not build very well and by 1929 the first thoughts rose about its replacement.
In 1934 the available space for a new church was acquired. After a design by H.W. Valk had been rejected, the much cheaper design by architect J.H. Sluijmer for the church and the presbytery was accepted. In 1935 the church was completed. It's a three-aisled pseudo-basilica in Traditionalist style with a christocentric configuration, as witnessed by the wide nave, narrow side-aisles, long transept arms and a choir in the shape of a short, square crossing-tower. At the front the church has a narthex flanked by chapels. Two more chapels are in the corners between nave and transept. At the back the choir/tower has an undeep, straight closure with a gable. The church was built out of large hand-made bricks.





Back to Churches in the province of Gelderland
Back to Berkelland municipality

Back to J.H. Sluijmer