Click here to go to the main page

Lienden (G): reformed church

The first church of Lienden was founded in the 11th century and belonged to St. Paul's abbey in Utrecht.   Of the original church nothing remains. The current church is a late-Gothic three-aisled pseudo-basilica. The oldest part of the church is the modest choir with attached to it a sacristy, both built in ca. 1400. The higher nave was built in the first half of the 15th century. After the nave had been completed in ca. 1450, the tower was built. The lower part of this tower was built of tuff of an earlier church and is decorated with details that are closely related to Romanesque. The upper two segments are mostly built of brick and are decorated with tall niches. The tower is in Lower Rhine Gothic style.
In 1871 the nave and choir were covered with a coat of white plaster to protect the brickwork. The entrance at the east end of the choir was probably added in the same year. When the church was restored in 1978-1982, these changes were preserved.










Back to Churches in the province of Gelderland

Back to Buren municipality