Click here to go to the main page

Nijmegen (G)

Nijmegen is probably the oldest city in the Netherlands, already having been chartered as a Roman settlement named Ulpia Noviomagus Batavorum. After the Romans left Nijmegen became an important Frankish city, and later capital of the Duchy of Gelre. In 1591 Nijmegen was conquered by troops of the protestant Republic but remained a mostly catholic city. During the 19th as well as the 20th century many new catholic churches were built, as well as other catholic institutions including a university. In 1944 Nijmegen was heavily damaged, especially on February the 22th when Allied planes bombed the historic city centre 'by accident'. Later that year Nijmegen was the scene of heavy fighting. In the centre several important churches were destroyed, but outside the centre most have survived. Included on this page are churches in several former villages that are now an integral part of the city. The village of Lent, part of Nijmegen municipality but still a village in its own right, is mentioned at the bottom of the page.

 

 



In the Valkhofpark, on the former location of the local castle, this ruin of a chapel in Romanesque style (left) can be seen. This ruin, which is often called the Barbarossa-ruin, after the emperor, dates from the 12th century. Even older is the St. Nicolaaskapel (right). This polygonal chapel dates from the 11th century.

Location: Valkhofpark

 

 

 

 

 
The St. Steven's church shows a mix of late Romanesque and both early and late Gothic styles, while the top of the tower is in Renaissance style. St. Steven ("St. Stephen") is the original catholic name of this church; the official protestant name is Grote Kerk ('Great Church'). In World War Two much of the church was destroyed. The current church therefore in many ways is a reconstruction.

Location: St. Stevenskerkhof 61












The former reformed church of the former village of Neerbosch, which is now an integrated part of Nijmegen, is a three-aisled pseudo-basilica in gothic style. It was built in the 14th and 15th century.

Location: Dorpsstraat 112, Neerbosch
 

 

 

 

 

The Mariënburgkapel dates from c. 1431, and was built as the chapel of the convent Mariënburg, of which it is the only surviving part.

Location: Mariënburg 26












The reformed Petruskerk is the church of the former village of Hees. It was built as a one-aisled building in the mid-16th century. In 1952 the side-aisles were added.

Location: Bredestraat 37, Hees
 

 

 

 

 
This former synagogue is one of two such buildings in Nijmegen. This is the oldest one, dating from 1756. In 1913 it was replaced by a new one elsewhere in the city, and after a long period of neglect was restored in 1976.

Location: Nonnenstraat 21












The St. Antonius Abt is the catholic church of the former village of Neerbosch. it is a three-aisled hall-church in neo-Gothic style, designed by P.J.H. Cuypers and built in 1879-1880.

Location: Dennenstraat 125, Neerbosch











The former Gereformeerde kerk is a one-aisled building with a facade in neo-Renaissance style. The church was designed by B. Bouwman and built in 1888.

Location: Begijnenstraat 20











The Lutheran church was built in 1898 after a design by D. Semmelink. It was originally used by an evangelical society and has been used by its current owners since 1924. A tower was added to the neo-Gothic building in 1929.

location: Prins Hendrikstraat 79

 

 

 

The Maria Geboortekerk was one of the first churches that were built in the new neighbourhoods outside the old centre. The nave, designed by J. Kayser sr., was built in 1900-1901. The church was finally completed in 1923-1924, when the facade, the transept and choir were built. These were designed by J. Kayser jr., who used a neo-Gothic style that fit his father's design.

Location: Berg en Dalseweg 42

 

 

 

 

 

The catholic St. Josef is a three-aisled cruciform basilica in neo-Romanesque style. It was designed by B.J. C. Claase and built in 1908-1909.

Location: Keizer Karelplein 19


 

 

 

 

The H. Antonius van Padua en St. Anna, better known as Groenestraatkerk, is another church in neo-Gothic style. It dates from 1909-1910 and was designed by A.A.J. Margry.

Location: Groenestraat 229

 

 

 

 

 

This church is also named H. Antonius van Padua and was designed by Jos. Margry, A.A.J. Margry's son. It was built in 1916-1917. A tower was planned but not built, and the upper part of the facade still makes a 'temporary' impression.

Location: Groesbeekseweg 92

 

 

 

 

 

Pierre Cuypers jr. is best known for his work with his father Jos. Cuypers, but the St. Stephanus was probably designed all by himself. This dome-church in Expressionistic style was built in 1922-1923.

Location: Berg en Dalseweg 203







The O.L. Vrouwe van Lourdes is a big three-aisled church in Expressionistic style. It was built in 1923 after a design by an architect Thunissen. The facade of the church seems to suggest that a tower was part of the design but wasn't built.

Location: Hatertseweg 113
 

 

 

 

 

At the edge of the city in 1926-1928 the Neboklooster was built. This Redemptorist monastery was designed by J. Stuyt in an Italian-inspired neo-Romanesque style.

Location: Sionsweg 2







The St. Dominicus was built in Traditionalistic style, more specifically in the style of the Bossche School, in 1950-1952. It was designed by Th. Nix.

Location: Prof. Molkenboerstraat 7

Lent

Part of the municipality of Nijmegen but not a part of the city is the village of Lent, which is located on the other side of the river Waal, opposite Nijmegen's center. Lent has two churches.










The reformed church is a one-aisled building that largely dates from the Middle Ages, even though it's unrecognisable as such since the choir was demolished in 1659 and the rest was given a new look in Classical style. The tower probably dates from 1755.

Location: Pastoor van Laakstraat 30











The catholic Maria Geboortekerk is a big neo-Gothic church designed by G. te riele, father of the more famous W. te Riele. The church was built in ca. 1879.

Location: Pastoor van Laakstraat 42

 
Back to the Province of Gelderland