Click here to go to the main page

Rheden (G): reformed church


The oldest part of the church is the tower, a Romanesque construction made out of tuff. It was built at the end of the 12th century or early in the 13th. It was built as part of a one-aisled church in Romanesque style, which in the 14th century was replaced, also by a one-aisled nave. In the 15th century the current Gothic choir was built to replace an older Romanesque nave. The lower parts of the choir are clad with tuff, probably taken from the demolished predecessor, while the upper parts are brick. The nave was later extended with side-aisles in Gothic style, which were completed in 1505. The outer walls of the side-aisles are also clad with tuff. In 1901-1904 the exterior of the church was restored by J.Th.J. Cuypers, who removed the coat of Portland cement which had been added to the outer walls in the 19th century. Also, several windows of the choir were re-opened, while some more recent windows and a door were closed. The windows of the nave were given new traceries. At the north side, a new portal was built while to the west side of the southern side-aisle a chapel was added. The tower was restored in 1930 by W. te Riele. In 1972 the interior of the nave and choir were restored.










Back to Churches in the province of Gelderland

Back to Rheden municipality