Click here to go to the main page

Ruurlo (G): St. Willibrordus (P.J.H. Cuypers, 1868-1871)



The catholic church of Ruurlo was paid for by Th.J.M.H. baron Van Dorth tot Medler, a brother of the barones who funded the construction of a church and several other catholic buildings in nearby Kranenburg over a decade earlier. These buildings in Kranenburg had been designed by P.J.H. Cuypers, and the same architect was commissioned to design the new church of Ruurlo.
Cuypers designed a one-aisled neo-Gothic church with a rectangular choir and a modest tower. The walls of the nave are low, but two traves are heightened with pointed gables on both sides to allow for a few large windows. In 1878 Cuypers used the same principle for his church in Nes op Ameland.
In 1937-1938 the St. Willibrordus was extended with simple side-aisles, designed by Joh. H. Sluijmer.









Back to Churches in the province of Gelderland

Back to Berkelland municipality

Back to P.J.H. Cuypers