Click here to go to the main page
Spijk, Lingewaal (G): reformed church

 

Spijk is the westernmost village in the province of Gelderland and belonged to (Zuid-)Holland until 1986. The village emerged as a linnear settlement in the early middle Ages and has remained so until well into the 20th century. It has had a church since the 13th century.

The church  is a remarkably compact three-aisled pseudo-basilica built entirely of bricks. Its oldest part is the Romanesque tower, which was built in ca.1250. Earlier that century an aisleless church with a semi-circular apse had been built, traces of which were found during a restoration in the 1960's. In the early 14th century a new choir in a very simple Gothic style was built, probably around the old one. Around 1500 the nave was replaced by the current one which subsequently was extended with side-aisles. In the same period the tower was heightended with the current upper segment. Both sides of the tower were flanked by lower extensions of the side-aisles, of which only the one on the north side remains.

Probably early in the 17th century the gables were added to the side-aisles, replacing the original sloping roofs, allowing for larger windows. 

The church became protestant in 1614 and has remained so since.

 

 

 

 

 
 

Back to Churches in the province of Gelderland

Back to Lingewaal municipality