most important church of the city is the Martinikerk, of which
the oldest parts date from the 13th century. Originally this
was a basilican cruciform church in Romano-Gothic
style, with a choir with a semi-circular apse. This church replaced
a simpler and smaller tuff church which itself was probably preceded
by at least one wooden building.
Of the 13th-century church the transept and crossing as well
as two vaults of the nave remain. Most of the walls of this church
were demolished later, when the side-aisles were removed and
the transept was rebuilt. Only at the northern transept-arm are
some parts left.
In the 15th century the church underwent a major change. The
old choir was replaced by a new one, the current Gothic choir
To the north of the choir are the sacristy and a chapel.
Also in the 15th century the nave was rebuilt. The side-aisles
were replaced by new aisles the same height and width as the
central aisle, resulting in a hall-church. The church was lengthened
with two traves on the western side. Until 1687 the traves were
crowned by gables, which were reconstructed during a recent restoration.
The tower dates from 1469-1482 and has become the symbol of the
city. It was built of grey natural stone, in a much richer Gothic
style than any other part of the church.