Click here to go to the main page
Kantens (Gr): reformed church



The reformed church of Kantens is especially interesting for its octagonal tower, which is supported by a big buttress. The oldest, lower part of the tower dates from ca. 1200, while the upper part is about 300 years younger. The nave consists of two clearly distinguisable parts, a Romanesque western part, which is probably as old as the tower, and an eastern part which replaced a small rectangular choir in the 13th century. The pointed windows in this part are from a later date. Two gates in natural stone, both from the 17th century, give access to the church. The one at the back was the private entrance of the lord of the village.

Back to Churches in the province of Groningen

Back to Eemsmond municipality