(Gr): reformed church or Jacobuskerk
church represents the last phase of Romano-Gothicism.
It has pointed Gothic windows but also the typically Romano-Gothic
gables, as well as other decorations.
To the north-east of the church is a free-standing tower which served
as a gate to the church-yard. The tower also dates from the 14th
century. This combination of a church with a seperate tower is not
unusual for this province, and for example can also be found in Noordbroek and Zuidbroek.
The church, originally dedicated to the apostle Jacob but protestant
since more than 400 years, dates from ca. 1350. It's a single-aisled
cruciform building. Unlike earlier Romano-Gothic churches it has a
clear vertical accent, which is typical for Gothicism. For instance the
walls are no longer divided in horizontal zones with niches. The
interior is however still dominated by the mellon-vaults which are so
characteristic for Romanogothicism.
Of interest are also the colours of the interior, a reconstruction of
the oldest known state found after removing a coat of white plaster.
The walls are painted red, divided by white-painted fake seams. The
vaults are painted in various decorative patterns. Only at the vault of
the choir the coat of white plaster remains.