Click here to go to the main page

Altweerterheide (L): H. Hart (J.Th.J. Cuypers & P.J.J.M. Cuypers, 1935-1936)

Altweerterheide emerged in the first decades of the 20th century when large plots of marsh and heathlands were cultivated. By the 1920's the small group of farms had grown and become a small population centre. In 1924-1925 a wooden temporary church was built. Ten years later the wooden church had become too small and in 1935-1936 it was replaced by a new church built out of brick.
The church was designed by J.Th.J. Cuypers and his son P.J.J.M. Cuypers jr. and is in a moderate Expressionist style. It's a three-aisled pseudo-basilica with a wide central aisle and narrow side-aisles with pointed gables. The facade faces the west and has a large circular window, a portal and an octagonal baptistry. At the eastern side is a straight choir with transept-arms on both sides. Between the nave and the southern arm is a tower.






Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to Weert municipality

Back to J.Th.J. Cuypers