Click here to go to the main page

Baexem (L): H. Johannes de Doper (A.J.N. Boosten, 1949-1950)

Few parts of the Netherlands suffered so much of war damage as the north and middle part of the province of Limburg. Complete villages were turned into ruins during the heavy fighting in this region. Retreating German troops occassionally blew up church towers to make sure the Allies couldn't use them as observation posts. After the war many new churches were built in this part of the country, especially by such regionally important architects as F.P.J. Peutz and A.J.N. Boosten.
The church of Baexem is one of Boosten's post-war designs, and typical for his style of the late-1940's it is a rather simple design, a three-aisled church with a round choir with a tower next to that. The tower wasn't built until 1958.

 

 

 

 

Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to Leudal municipality

Back to A.J.N. Boosten