Click here to go to the main page
Jabeek (L): St. Gertrudis (P.J.H. Cuypers, 1859)


In 1850 in was decided that the old church of Jabeek would have to be replaced by a new one. An architect Jenneskens made two different designs but neither was built. In 1857 a new plan by P.J.H. Cuypers was accepted. This design was simplified to make it less expensive, which meant a different type of stone would be used and a stair-turret would not be built. In March 1959 work started. The 15th- century tower of the predecessor was maintained. On the location of the old church Cuypers built a three-aisled basilica in neo-Gothic style. Both nave and transept have wooden ceilings while  the choir and side-aisles have vaults. Peculiar is the transept, which is basically the heightened second trave of the side-aisles. Since the nave is only three naves long the position of the transept looks peculiar as well.

 

Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to the Province of Limburg Places & buildings

Back to P.J.H. Cuypers