of the church of the Dominicans was started in 1267, and it must
have been finished c. 1280. It was consecrated in 1294. In 1309
a chapel was added to the northside of the choir.
The church is a good example of the Mosan style of Gothicism.
Typical for this style are the basilican shape of the building,
the use of marl, fake triforiums and the so-called Maaskapiteel
(Maascapital), a piece of sculpture that formed the top of a
column and was richly decorated with stylized leaves. This church
has a lookalike in the shape of the Minderbroederskerk elsewhere
in this city, while the Dominicans also built a very similar
church in brick in Zutphen (G), the Broederenkerk.
Typical for churches built by a mendicant order like this one
are the absence of a western tower and a transept. A tower for
the church was designed in 1728 by Franciscus Romanus, who later
became architect at the court of French king Louis XIV. It was
The church must have been richly decorated once, but of this
very little is left. Only a few badly ages paintings on the ceilings
remind of better days. In 1794 the French occupiers hunted the
Dominicans out of the city, after which the church was used by
a parish for several more years. But in 1805 the building became
a warehouse, and most of the interior's works of art moved to
other churches. More recently the building was used as an archive.
Today the Dominicans' church is a mostly empty building, that
is used as a bicycle parking.
Left: at the vaults of this
church are some vague remains of once extensive paintings by
Jan Vassens (also known as Joannes Vasoens) from 1619. Most of
this is beyond recognition, and it seems unlikely that the paintings
will ever be restored.
Right: a good view at the fake
triforium, and a little less good view of a Maascapital.