Click here to go to the Archimon main page

Margraten (L): St. Margarita (A.J.N. Boosten, 1922-1928)

The church of Margraten is a remarkable building, combining a medieval tower and choir with much more modern parts. There seems to be a direct connection between the name of the village of Margraten and of that of its patron, St. Margareta. The oldest evidence of the presence of a church dates from 1262, but it seems likely that a church was founded much earlier than that. Of this old church only a part of the western wall remains, against which a tower was built in the 14th century. The outside of this tower was renewed in 1617. At the east side of the church a choir from the 15th century remains. The old nave, which dated from 1617 and was extended with side-aisles in 1829 and 1834, was demolished in 1921, followed by the construction of a new church square on the direction of the old one in 1922-1928. The old choir became a chapel, now standing at the side of the nave, just like the tower. Such a so-called transverse enlargement was not unusual in Limburg; in the 19th and 20th centuries many more churches in this province were enlarged in such a radical manner, often resulting in a mostly new church. An increased interest in old churches and their preservation came too late for this church. It was simply much too small for the growing village. Architect A.J.N. Boosten designed the new parts of the church, a wide one-aisled nave and round choir with ambulatory. It was Boosten's only church assignment for most of that decade, after the controversy over his first two churches. The style of the church is radically different compared to the old parts and is very similar to that of the church in Eygelshoven that Boosten and his partner J. Ritzen built in 1921-1922. Like the choir and the tower the new church was mostly built of marl. Only the lower parts of the walls are made of Kunrader stone.

Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to Eijsden-Margraten municipality

Back to A.J.N. Boosten