Click here to go to the main page

Mechelen (L): St. Joannes de Doper

Although this church was founded in the Middle Ages, little is left of the original church, which in 1568 was destroyed by fire. Later that church was replaced by a new one, with round-topped windows and walls of brick with decorative marl layers. In 1810 architect Mathias Soiron restored the old church, who heightened the nave and replaced the choir. In 1863-1867 the nave was extended in western direction with a trave and a new tower, while pseudo-transept were added as well. In 1935 the choir was replaced by a new one in neo-Romanesque style, designed by J.Th.J. Cuypers and executed in natural stone.






Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to Gulpen-Wittem municipality