Click here to go to the main page

Meijel (L): St. Nicolaas (F.P.J. Peutz, 1952-1955)


On September the 25th of 1944, at the end of the Second World War, retreating German troops blew up the Neo-Gothic church of Meijel. What was left of the church was demolished after the war to make way for a new church. In 1947 a temporary church was built at the other end of the cemetery behind the church. This temporary church was designed in such a way that it could easily be transformed into a gym when the new church would be completed.
A first design for a replacement church was made by A.J.N. Boosten already in August 1945. This plan was considered to be too expensive, and further progress was stalled. Boosten died in 1951, and in 1952 F.P.J. Peutz was commissioned to design the new church. The architect took inspiration from the architectural traditions of the south of the Limburg province, with walls out of alternating layers of brick and marl, and windows shaped like those of some of the churches in Baroque and Neo-Classical style, much like his church in Oirsbeek, only bigger. The general shape of the church is that of a three-aisled hall-church, with all three aisles covered by a single saddle roof, making the church look like a pseudo-basilica on the outside. The choir is short and only a little less wide than the nave and has, as the only part of the church, an unconventional shape. At the front of the church is the tower, which is crowned by a tall concrete spire. To make it look as if it was covered by slates, this spire was painted dark grey.








Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to the Province of Limburg Places & buildings

Back to F.P.J. Peutz