Merselo (L): H. Johannes de Doper (J. Kayser, 1890-1891)
small gothic choir of the church of Merselo was built in ca. 1400 and
is the oldest part of this church. Actually, it includes a trave of the
original nave as well, the rest of which was replaced in 1664. In its
turn that second nave was replaced by the current one in 1890-1891.
The new church was designed by J. Kayser in a rather simple version of
his characteristic neo-Gothic style, based on Northern-German Gothic
churches and featuring stepped gables and glazed brick ornaments. It's
a small one-aisled building with an octagonal
tower next to the facade. Unlike many churches in this region, the
Merselo survived the fighting of 1944 relatively well, with only the
tower sufferering major damage. The tower was rebuilt with slight
differences in 1960 by architect J. Colsen.