Click here to go to the main page

Neeritter (L): St. Lambertus


The oldest part of the church of Neeritter is the lower part of the tower, which dates from the 13th century. It was built of tuff and carbonic sandstone and probably belonged to a Romanesque church, more details about which aren't known. In the 14th century the tower was heightened in marl and the current central aisle of the nave was built, also using marl. In the 15th century the Gothic choir and side-aisles were added. The southern side-aisle was widened in c. 1525. At the end of the 16th century the sacristy was added.
In the 19th century the church underwent some big changes. The vaults of the main aisle and the choir were replaced by a simple wooden ceiling. In 1842 the tower was heightened with the current upper part, built of brick and with an octagonal wooden lantern in neo-Classical style on top. At the same time the nave and the southern side-aisle were covered by a single roof, supported by big brick buttresses.












Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to Leudal municipality