Click here to go to the main page

Noorbeek (L): St. Brigida

Although mostly Gothic in style, the origins of this church are Romanesque. Its oldest part is the marl tower, which was probably built in the 13th century, although its lowest part even dates from c. 1100. This part of the tower is built of small pieces of natural stone, and similar stone is found at the front of the northern side-aisle, giving reason to believe the current church was preceded by a church with at least one side-aisle. That church was replaced in the second quarter of the 13th century by a Romanesque church. From that period the upper part of the walls of the nave, including the clerestorey, remain.  Starting in c. 1400 the Romanesque church was replaced by the current Gothic one. First the semi-circular apse was replaced by the current Gothic choir, followed by wide side-aisles in the same style. The Romanesque nave underwent a transformation that only left the upper parts of its side-walls more or less intact. The southern side-aisle was replaced in the late-15th or early-16th century. In 1911-1913 the church was restored by W. Sprenger, who lowered the roofs of the side-aisles and reopened the windows of the clerestorey.

In 1772 a chapel was built behind the church, a small building in Baroque style, dedicated to St. Brigida, just like the church.







Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to Eijsden-Margraten municipality