Click here to go to the main page
Panningen (L): O.L. Vrouwe van Zeven Smarten (H.W. Valk, 1929-1930)


Since the 1830's the church of Panningen had been an enlarged chapel. Within a century it became much too small for the parish. A new church was designed by H.W. Valk, his first in the province of Limburg. The church is in many ways similar to the St. MichaŽl in Sint-Michielsgestel (NB) Valk built a little later. It's a  three-aisled basilican church in a Traditionalistic style inspired by Gothicism. Like many of Valk's churches it's a christocentric church, with a wide central nave providing an undisturbed view on the choir, which is illuminated by a crossing-tower with tall windows. On the west side is a tower which is flanked by two chapels.  In 1944 the tower was blown up; when Valk rebuilt it in 1950-1951 he heigthened it with another segment.

Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to the Province of Limburg Places & buildings

Back to H.W. Valk