Click here to go to the main page

Pey (L): O.L. Vrouw Onbevlekt Ontvangen (P.J.H. Cuypers, 1860-1861)

In 1854 a new parish is founded in Pey. Until then the village was part of the parish of Echt. P.J.H. Cuypers designed a new church already in 1855, but opposition from the parish of Echt and the profane authorities hindered the start of its construction. Lack of money appeared to be the main objection. Also, Cuypers' design was disapproved by governmental engineer Badon Ghijben. The first stone however was laid in 1857, before permission had been granted. In 1860 the actual work could finally start, although Cuypers had made a new design. Despite financial problems, Cuypers gave the church stone vaults. The resulting church is a cruciform basilica. The design is based on 13th-century French examples. Compared to some of Cuypers' churches from the same period it looks rather uninspired. In 1927-1928 Jules Cuypers (a relative?) added several chapels and other structures to the transept and around the choir. In World War Two the spire was destroyed. Decades after the war it was replaced by an exact copy.






Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to Echt-Susteren municipality

Back to P.J.H. Cuypers