Click here to go to the main page

Helvoirt (NB)

This village dates from the early middle ages when a settlement emerged along the road from Tilburg to 's-Hertogenbosch. A first church was built in the 12th century. In 1559 a castle was built from which the village and surroundings were ruled. The village is now part of the Haaren municipality.

 

 

 

 

 

The reformed church dates from the 15th century and was built in simple Gothic style. Vincent van Gogh's father preached here from 1871 until 1875. Elsewhere in the village stands a statue of the painter.

 

 

 

 

 

The catholic church is the St. Nicolaas, a neo-Gothic church designed by architect J.H.H. van Groenendael. It dates from 1901-1903 and is considered to be this architect's best work.

 

Back to the Province of Noord-Brabant