Click here to go to the main page

Raamsdonksveer (NB): O.L.V. Hemelvaart (C.H. de Bever, 1956-1957)

The parish of Raamsdonksveer was founded in 1843 and, because there was no money for a real church, held its masses in a barn during its first two decades. In 1862 work began on a church, a neo-Gothic cruciform basilica designed by C. Weber, which was completed in 1864. Plans to add a tower were made in 1875-1876 but not executed.
Soon this church became too small, and in 1892-1893 it was radically enlarged by P.J.H. Cuypers, who lengthened the nave and added a new facade, added polygonal closures to the transept and gave the church a tall crossing-tower. Unfortunately, German troops blew up the tower in October 1944, destroying part of the church as well. After the war, part of the church was repaired and used as a temporary church until it was replaced by the current church in 1957.
This church was designed by C.H. de Bever and is typical for his later work, in which influences of indigenous rural Gothic were replaced by those from early Christian architecture in Italy. It's a big cruciform basilica with a westwork-like front and a tower at the side, modeled after the campaniles in northern Italy. On top of the "westwork" is an open turret in which is a gold statue of Mary. This statue graced the tower of the preceding church. The facades of both the front and the transept have decorative battlements. 
At the crossing is a large square crossing-tower, with underneath it the choir which itself has a semi-circular apse at its back. Flanking the apse are circular stair-turrets. The same shape is present with two chapels in the corners between nave and transept.











Back to Churches in the province of Noord-Brabant

Back to Geertruidenberg municipality

Back to C. H. de Bever