Click here to go to the main page

Sint Willebrord (NB): H. Willibrordus (N.J. H. van Groenendael, 1925-1926)

In 1841 a first church was built in Sint Willebrord village, a small building in neo-Classical style. In 1885 a copy of the famous grotto of Lourdes (France)  was built near the church, making the village a place of pilgrimage. In 1925-1926 a new church was built elsewhere in the village, as well as a new copy of the cave. The old church has been used for several uses since.
Officially, the new church was designed by architect N.J.H. van Groenendael , but it was based on elaborate plans made by the local priest father Bastiaansen. The resulting church is a compromise between the two desings, retaining much of Bastiaansen's vision, refined with Van Groenendael's ideas about construction and detailing. Although more or less neo-Gothic style, the church has no pointed arches.

Bastiaansen's plan was inspired by the Rosary Basilica and the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Lourdes, or rather, the view at the combination of these two churches as seen from the east. The church consists of a short basilican nave, a square crossing, two transept-arms and a choir. The front of the nave is flanked by two polygonal stair-turrets which remind of the Rosary Basilica while on top of the crossing is a tall tower inspired by the frontal tower of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. The choir and the transept-arms are identical on the outside, all being polygonal and having five radiating chapels each. Further chapels flank the front of the church, one dedicated to St. Willibrord, the other to Mary.

Incorrectly, in literature the church is often attributed to J.H.H. van Groenendael, one of the architect's brothers.

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
Back to Churches in the province of Noord-Brabant

Back to the Province of Noord-Brabant Places & buildings

Back to N.J.H. van Groenendael