Click here to go to the main page

Amsterdam (NH) part 1/2

The official capital of The Netherlands, as well as a municipality that includes several villages around the city, like Sloten. Until the late-16th century Amsterdam was mostly a catholic city, but after it took the side of the protestant rebellion in 1578 it attracted numerous protestant refugees as well as Jews. A sizeable catholic minority continued to exist and industrialization attracted more catholics in the 19th century. In the 1880's Amsterdam became an important centre of the Calvinist Gereformeerden denomination with the foundation of their own university, the Vrije Universiteit. The Jewish community was mostly wiped out in World War Two. After the war secularization resulted in the closing of several churches of all major denominations, often followed by their demolition. These pages show some of the buildings that are still in existence and are not complete.
Because of to the size of the city and the large number of churches, for churches outside the old center see the pages about Amsterdam-West, Amsterdam-Oost and Amsterdam-Zuid.

De officiŽle hoofdstad van Nederland, maar ook een gemeente die een aantal dorpen rond de stad omvat, zoals Sloten. Tot aan het einde van de 16e-eeuw was Amsterdam vooral een katholieke stad, maar nadat de stad in 1578 de zijde koos van de protestantse opstand in 1578, trok zij een groot aantal protestantse vluchtelingen en Joden. Een omvangrijke katholieke minderheid bleef bestaan ​​en de industrialisatie trok in de 19e eeuw meer katholieken. In de jaren 1880 werd Amsterdam een belangrijk centrum van de calvinistische Gereformeerden met de oprichting van hun eigen universiteit, de Vrije Universiteit. De joodse gemeenschap werd grotendeels weggevaagd tijdensd de Tweede Wereldoorlog. Na de oorlog leidde de secularisatie tot de sluiting van verschillende kerken van alle grote gezindtes, vaak gevolgd door sloop. Deze pagina's tonen enkele van de gebouwen die nog bestaan en zijn niet compleet. 
Vanwege de grootte van de stad en het grote aantal kerken, zie voor kerken buiten het centrum de pagina's over Amsterdam-West, Amsterdam-Oost en Amsterdam-Zuid.

 

The Gothic St. Nicolaas, nowadays known by its Protestant name of Oude Kerk (Old Church) is Amsterdam's oldest building, although its looks have changed drastically ever since it was built. It has a tower in Renaissance style.

Location: Oudekerksplein 23

De gotische St. Nicolaas, tegenwoordig bekend onder de protestantse naam Oude Kerk, is het oudste gebouw van Amsterdam, hoewel haar uiterlijk sinds de oorspronkelijke bouw drastisch is veranderd. De toren is in Renaissance stijl. 

Locatie: Oudekerksplein 23

 

The Nieuwe Kerk ('new church') was built as the second parish church. Work started in the 1380's, and soon the church was consecrated and baptised Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk ('Church of Our Lady'). The church was altered numerous times until the original church was almost completely replaced by a new one. A tower was planned but never completed. 

Location: NZ Voorburgwal 143

De Nieuwe Kerk werd gebouwd als de tweede parochiekerk. De werken begonnen in de jaren 1380, en al snel werd de kerk gewijd en tot Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk gedoopt. De kerk werd meerdere malen gewijzigd totdat de oorspronkelijke kerk bijna geheel was vervangen door een nieuwe. Een toren was gepland, maar nooit voltooid. 

Locatie: NZ Voorburgwal 143

 
This church is the former chapel of the beguinage and was built in 1419. The beguinage was the only catholic institution that was tolerated after the reformation in 1578. The chapel however was confiscated in 1607 and has as an English Presbyterian church since.

Location: Begijnhof 48 

Dit is de voormalige kapel van het begijnhof, gebouwd in 1419. Het begijnhof was de enige katholieke instelling die na de reformatie van 1578 werd getolereerd. De kapel werd echter in 1607 in beslag genomenen diende voortaan als een Engelse Presbyteriaanse kerk

Locatie: Begijnhof 48

 

The Sint Olofskapel ('chapel of St. Olof') was built in the 15th century and was enlarged a few times. After the Reformation the building served as an exchange and a reformed church. After the building closed its doors as a church in 1912 it quickly went downhill, despite numerous new uses. In the 1950's the building was closed altogether. In 1966 a fire destroyed much of it, and restoration did not start until 1991. It's now part of a hotel.

Location: Zeedijk 2a 

De Sint Olofskapel werd gebouwd in de 15e eeuw en werd een paar keer vergroot. Na de Reformatie diende het gebouw als een beurs en een hervormde kerk. Nadat het gebouw in 1912 als kerk haar deuren sloot ging het bergafwaarts, ondanks tal van nieuwe bestemmingen. In de jaren 1950 werd het gebouw helemaal gesloten. In 1966 verwoestte een brand een groot deel ervan, en de restauratie begon pas 1991. De kapel is nu oderdeel van een hotel.

Locatie: Zeedijk 2a
 

 

 

The Agnietenkapel is a one-aisled Gothic church, built in 1470 as the chapel of a Franciscan convent. After the Alteration of 1578 it first served as a warehouse. In 1631 it became part of the local university.

Location: OZ Voorburgwal 231 

De Agnietenkapel is een eenbeukige gotische kerk, gebouwd in 1470 als de kapel van een Franciscaner klooster. Na de Alteratie van 1578 deed het eerst dienst als magazijn. In 1631 werd het onderdeel van de plaatselijke universiteit. 

Locatie: OZ Voorburgwal 231


 

 

 

The Zuiderkerk was the first of a series of churches in Renaissance style in Amsterdam that were designed by architect Hendrick de Keyser. It was built between 1603 and 1611, but the tower was only completed in 1614.

Location: Zuiderkerkhof

De Zuiderkerk was de eerste van een serie kerken in renaissancestijl in Amsterdam die werden ontworpen door architect Hendrick de Keyser. De kerk werd gebouwd tussen 1603 en 1611, maar de toren werd pas in 1614 voltooid. 

Locatie: Zuiderkerkhof

 

 
The Noorderkerk is one of two churches that were built starting from 1620 in the new Jordaan neighbourhood by architect Hendrick de Keyser. Unlike the big Westerkerk this Noorderkerk is a relatively modest building. It's hardly taller than the neighbouring houses, and has only a small bell-tower on the crossing.

Location: Noordermarkt

De Noorderkerk is een van twee kerken die architect Hendrick de Keyser vanaf 1620 bouwde in de nieuwe buurt De Jordaan. In tegenstelling tot de grote Westerkerk is de Noorderkerk een relatief bescheiden gebouw. Het is nauwelijks groter dan de omliggende huizen, en heeft slechts een kleine klokkentoren op de kruising. 

Locatie: Noordermarkt


 

 

The Westerkerk is the other and more monumental of the two churches built for the Jordaan neighbourhood in 1620 and the following years. For several years this was the largest church in the world specifically designed for protestant services.

Location: Westermarkt

De Westerkerk is de andere en meer monumentale van de twee kerken gebouwd voor de Jordaan in 1620 en de jaren daarna. Enkele jaren was dit de grootste kerk ter wereld die speciaal voor protestantse diensten was gebouwd. 

Locatie: Westermarkt

 

The old Lutheran church, the design of which is attributed to Pieter de Keyser, Hendrick's son,  dates from 1633 and soon turned out to be too small. Nowadays it is used by the university.

Location: Singel 411

De oude Lutherse kerk, waarvan het ontwerp wordt toegeschreven aan Pieter de Keyser, de zoon van Hendrick, dateert uit 1633 en bleek al snel te klein. Tegenwoordig wordt het gebouw gebruikt door de universiteit. 

Locatie: Singel 411

 

The Round Lutheran church was the second Lutheran church in Amsterdam and was built from 1668-1671 according to a design in Classical style by Adriaan Dortsman. Although the Lutherans were allowed to build churches, they were strictly forbidden to give their churches towers.

Location: Singel 11

De Ronde Lutherse kerk was de tweede Lutherse kerk in Amsterdam en werd gebouwd van 1668-1671 naar een ontwerp in classicistische stijl door Adriaan Dortsman. Hoewel de lutheranen kerken mochten bouwen was het hen streng verboden torens bij hun kerkente bouwen. 

Locatie: Singel 11


 

 

The Amstelkerk was intended as temporary church in 1668-1670. It was probably designed by DaniŽl Stalpaert and built out of wood. The stone church that was supposed to replace it was never built. 

Location: Amstelveld

De Amstelkerk was bij de bouw in 1668-1670 bedoeld als tijdelijke kerk. Zij werd waarschijnlijk ontworpen door DaniŽl Stalpaert en is geheel van hout. De stenen kerk die verondersteld werd om het gebouw te vervangen werd nooit gebouwd. 

Locatie: Amstelveld

 

 

 

The reformed Oosterkerk is a centralizing church in Classical style, designed by DaniŽl Stalpaert and built in 1669-1671.

Location: Kleine Wittenburgerstraat 1

De hervormde Oosterkerk is een centraliserende kerk in classicistische stijl, ontworpen door DaniŽl Stalpaert en gebouwd in 1669-1671. 

Locatie: Kleine Wittenburgerstraat 1

 

 

In 1671 a  catholic hidden church was build on the beguinage and named H.H. Joannes en Ursula. Behind the double house-like facade lies a three-aisled church, designed by the famous architect Philips Vingboons. The church is the centre of a local miracle devotion, replacing a medieval chapel elsewhere in the city, which the protestants demolished in 1908 to make sure the catholics could never use it again.

Location: Begijnhof 39

In 1671 werd op het begijnhof een katholieke schuilkerk gebouwd, genaamd H.H. Joannes en Ursula. Achter de twee huisgevels bevindt zich een driebeukige kerk, ontworpen door de beroemde architect Philips Vingboons. De kerk is het centrum van een plaatselijke devotie, ter vervanging van een middeleeuwse kapel elders in de stad, door de protestanten in 1908 afgebroken om ervoor te zorgen dat de katholieken haar nooit meer zouden gebruiken. 

Locatie: Begijnhof 39


 

One of several reminders to Amsterdam's once sizable Jewish community is the Portugese synagogue, which was built in 1675 after a design by Elias Bouman.

Location: Mr. Visserplein

Een van de vele herinneringen aan de ooit aanzienlijke joodse gemeenschap van Amsterdam is de Portugese synagoge, die in 1675 werd gebouwd naar een ontwerp van Elias Bouman. 

Locatie: Mr Visserplein

 
Go to part 2

Back to the Province of Noord-Holland