Click here to go to the main page

Assendelft (NH): St. Odulphus (A.C. Bleys, 1887-1888)

 

 

 


Assendelft remained a mostly catholic village after the Reformation. However, the protestant kept hold of the medieval church after freedom of religion was restored in the late-18th century, and replaced it twice. The catholics built a church of their own in 1835. In 1887-1888 this was replaced by the current church. The architect was A.C. Bleys, one of a few architects who did not conform to the neo-Gothic standard for catholic chuches of that time. Unusual for that time, he designed a church in pure neo-Romanesque style. It's a three-aisled cruciform basilica with a square tower at the side of the front. The choir has a semi-circular apse. Similar apses close the side-aisles at the eastern side while there's also one in the western facade. Entrances are in both transept-arms.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Back to Churches in the province of Noord-Holland

Back to Zaanstad municipality

Back to A.C. Bleys