(NH): reformed church
history of this church possibly starts in ca. 725, when a small chapel
may have been built. It is known to have existed in the 11th century.
In the 13th century the chapel was replaced by a one-aisled church
which itself made place for a bigger successor between 1400 and 1475.
It was a Gothic three-aisled hall-church with a tall tower, dedicated
to St. Agatha.
In 1567, early in he 80-Years War, the town of Beverwijk was largely
destroyed. Of the church little more remained than the tower. In 1592
work started to rebuilt the church, which was now protestant property.
The rebuilt church was largely a copy of the old one, only the
polygonal choir was omitted, but the style of the church was still
Gothic. In 1648 the church was completed. It's not known how different
this church is from its predecessor. A peculiar feature is the southern
aisle which is much shorter than the other two. All aisles are covered
by wooden barrel-vaults which in 1861 were plastered. During a
restoration between 1976 and 1983 these vaults were restored to their
original state. During a previous restoration in 1912, necessary after
a fire destroyed the spire, a balustrade was added to the top op the