(NH): O.L. Vrouw van Goede Raad (A.J. Kropholler, 1914-1915)
Kropholler's first church immediately shows that in the next decades
this architect's style did not change. It's a simple one-aisled
building, although that aisle is quite wide and has side-aisle-like
spaces at its rear half. Already present here are the big but hardly
functional buttresses, the small windows, the wooden ceiling and the
sparsely but effectively used natural stone. Just like all his other
churches. Kropholler also designed the presbytery.
This church was built for a second catholic parish in Beverwijk, the
other being the St. Agatha.
Due to changes in the borders between the two parishes the St. Agatha
became a church of the rich and the middle class, while the O.L. Vrouw
became a workers' church. The ceremonial first stone was laid on
October the 21st of 1914; at that moment work had already begun. World
War One had started, and although The Netherlands remained neutral the
army enlisted many working men. This, and the occasional lack of
building materials, hindered the construction of the church. In 1915
the church was still not completed when work stopped. In 1927 work
continued, when the church was extended with several traves to the
west, but the tower was added even later. In 1922-1923 a
school was built at the front of the church.
In 1989 the diocese of Haarlem decided that one of the two churches was
to be closed. The decision to close the St. Agatha, an important design
by Jos. Cuypers, was later withdrawn. Instead now the O.L. Vrouw will
be closed. Although a listed building, its future is unclear.