(Ov): H. Antonius van Padua (K.L. Croonen, 1911-1912)
has traditionally always been a catholic town.
When the town expanded in c. 1900, the St. Plechelmus became too small
and the decision was made to found a second parish. In 1908 a piece of
was bought in the southern part of the town, only some 500 meters from
the St. Plechelmus. Here, Oldenzaal's second catholic church was built
in 1911-1912. It's a three-aisled basilica in neo-Gothic style,
designed by local architect K.L. Croonen, a former intern of P.J.H.
Cuypers. The church is not oriented and its facade is in the
north-east. At its eastern side is a polygonal stair-turret. Remarkable
is the high clerestorey, which contrasts with the low side-aisles.