Click here to go to the main page
Amersfoort (U): chapel Onze Lieve Vrouw ter Eem (B.J. Koldewey, 1931-1933)

The chapel of the convent Onze Lieve Vrouw ter Eem is only one part of a much bigger complex, also consisting of two schools. The complex was designed in Delft School Traditionalist style with clear influences of the work of H.P. Berlage and A.J. Kropholler and was designed by B.J. Koldewey and W.C.A. Kroes. The chapel was probably the work of Koldewey alone.

The chapel is a three-aisled basilica with low and narrow side-aisles and a wide and tall central aisle with a steep roof. The big pointed windows of the central aisle serve as a clerestorey while the side-aisles only have small windows.  At the front are two towers, a tall one on the south side of the nave and a short one, actually lower than the nave itself, at the north side. At the east side of the chapel is a lower, polygonal choir. As usual for this style, the chapel is mostly built of brick, with minimal use of natural stone.









Back to Churches in the province of Utrecht

Back to Amersfoort

Back to B.J. Koldewey