Nieuwer Ter Aa (U): reformed church
In 1138 the bishop of Utrecht gave his permission to the
founding of a church in Nieuwer Ter Aa. The original
one-aisled Romanesque church was replaced in ca. 1475 with the current
building in late-Gothic style. Like its predecessor, the current church
has a one-aisled nave, but the foundations of the Romanesque church
showed that church had been less wide. Unfortunately these foundations
were destroyed by workers during a restoration in the 1950's.
The Gothic church was largely constructed out of bricks, but
blocks of tuff of the old church were used in decorative layers in the
new walls. The church has a transept with two short and low arms that
resemble chapels. At the north side a sacristy was built in the corner
between transept and choir. Remarkably, its walls lack the tuff layers.
At the west side of the nave a tower in a simple, hardly Gothic style
was built, also entirely out of bricks.
The church became protestant in 1583 and has been ever since.