Click here to go to the main page

Oudewater (U)

Town in the south-western part of the Utrecht province, dating back to the 11th or 12th century. Granted city right in 1265 by the bishop of Utrecht in order to create a stronghold against Holland, the town was handed to the latter region in 1280 and did not return to Utrecht until 1970, when the border between the provinces of Utrecht and Zuid-Holland was changed.

Stad in het zuidwestelijke deel van de provincie Utrecht, daterend uit de 11e of 12e eeuw. Hoewel de bisschop van Utrecht de plaats in 1265 stadsrechten gaf om een bolwerk tegen Holland te creŽren, werd de stad in 1280 aan die laatste overgedragen om pas in 1970 weer bij Utrecht te worden gevoegd, toen de grens tussen de provincies Utrecht en Zuid-Holland werd aangepast. 
 

The reformed church or St. MichaŽl is a three-aisled hall-church with a unique tower in mixed Romanesque and Gothic styles. It survived the big fire of 1575.

Location: Noorder-Kerkstraat 

De hervormde kerk of St. MichaŽl is een driebeukige hallenkerk met een unieke toren in een combinatie van romaanse en gotische stijlen. De kerk overleefde de grote brand van 1575. 

Location: Noorder-Kerkstraat 

 

 

 
This is what is left of the St. Ursulakapel ('chapel of St. Ursula') from ca. 1415. After the Reformation the chapel was used as a school. In 1783 the western part was demolished and replaced by a new building. Since a restoration in 1984-1985 the former chapel is part of the police station.

Location: Kapellestraat 24

Dit is wat resteert van de St. Ursulakapel uit ca. 1415. Na de Reformatie werd de kapel gebruikt als school. In 1783 werd het westelijke deel gesloopt en vervangen door een nieuw gebouw. Sinds een restauratie in 1984-1985 maakt de voormalige kapel deel uit van het politiebureau.

Locatie: Kapellestraat 24

 

 
 

Unlike the Old-Catholics, the Roman-Catholics chose a new patron saint for their church after the ban on their religion was abolished. The H. Franciscus van Assisi is a Neo-Gothic church from 1881, designed by E.J. Margry.

Location: Kapellestraat 15 

In tegenstelling tot de Oud-Katholieken, kozen de rooms-katholieken voor een nieuwe patroonheilige voor hun kerk nadat het verbod op hun godsdienst werd afgeschaft. De H. Franciscus van Assisi is een neogotische kerk uit 1881, ontworpen door E.J. Margry.

Locatie: Kapellestraat 15

 

  

 

The Old-Catholic church of H. MichaŽl en Johannes de Doper ('St. Michael and John the Baptist') dates from 1882 and was designed by M.C. van Wijngaarden.

Location: Leeuweringerstraat 12 

De Oud-Katholieke kerk van H. MichaŽl en Johannes de Doper dateert uit 1882 en werd ontworpen door M.C. van Wijngaarden.

Locatie: Leeuweringerstraat 12

 
Back to the Province of Utrecht