(Z): reformed church
church of Cadzand, also known as Mariakerk, is one of the oldest
churches in Zeeland. It was probably founded in the early 13th century
by the St. Bavo Abbey in Gent, in a period when Romanesque was
gradually being replaced by Gothic. It is a two-aisled hall-church,
built of yellow Flemish bricks. The oldest part of the church is the
southern aisle, which was built between 1250 and 1300. The narrow
pointed windows are typical for the early Gothic style of Schelde
Gothic, as is the still largely Romanesque construction. The northern
aisle was added in the early 14th century. At some point also a tower
The church suffered badly during the Eighty Years War and was repaired
in 1609-1610, when it had become protestant. The walls of the church
were lowered at this time. The tower was demolished in 1677. Instead a
steeple was added to the front of the roof of the southern aisle. The
facade of this part also had several changes, most notably a row of
three small rounded windows which, combined with the steeple, gave this
part a new look in Classical style.
In 1930 a restoration started. The walls were restored to their
original height, the steeple was removed and the windows in the
southern facade were replaced by a single one in Gothic style. Most
important was the removal of the steeple and the addition of an
octagonal tower to the front, with next to it a new portal.
In 1944 the church was badly damaged by artillery. In 1954 it was once
again restored. In 1962 a consistory was built at the south side.