parish of Kapelle was founded between 1216 and 1248. Little is known
about the first church, except that the current church was built at the
same location and gradually replaced its predecessor.
The oldest part of the church is the southern choir, which was built
between 1320 and 1325. It is very similar in style to the slightly
older choir of the church of nearby Kloetinge. In ca. 1400 a consistory
was built next to the choir.
The tower dates from the second half of the 14th century. In 1427 the
portal at the front was added. The corner-turrets on the top of the
tower were added after that. The church has a three-aisled
pseudo-basilican nave which dates from the first half of the 15th
century. In ca. 1480 it was heightened. The southern side-aisle runs
along the side of the tower, where it becomes a chapel.
At the end of the 15th century the northern choir was built at the east
end of the northern side-aisle. By that time the church had become a
chapter church. Attached to the northern choir is a mortuary chapel
from the early 16th century.
In 1578 the church was confiscated by the protestants, who disbanded
the chapter and removed much of the interior. The exterior however has
hardly changed ever since.