pseudo-basilican church in Gothic style
until the Reformation was dedicated to John the Baptist. The tower
dates from ca. 1475 and shows Flemish influences in the octagonal upper
section and the use of natural stone at the corners and edges. The top
of this segment is decorated with small turrets at the eight corners.
Also note the turrets of brick at the four corners of the square lower
segment, which has several blind niches as its major decoration.
The nave, which dates from the 15th century, shows a similar use of
natural stone, but the interior shows influences of Brabantine
Like many medieval churches in this province, this church no longer has
a choir. In 1574 it collapsed. The protestants, who had no use for it,
did not rebuilt it. The last remains were demolished in the 18th
century. Previously the arch leading to the choir had been filled. Two
windows were opened to let light in.
In its original form the church had been a cruciform one. Peculiar
however is that the church had only one transept-arm, the other arm of
the cross being the tower. This odd position of the tower seems to be
the result of a change in the original plans for the church; while the
tower is at the traditional west side, the nave has a north-south
The big flood of 1953 caused damage to the interior of the church
mostly, especially the furniture and gravestones suffering from the