(Z): reformed church or St. Pancratius
The church of Poortvliet is
evidence of the former importance of this village. It's been built in a
combination of Gothic
The tower was built around the year 1350, and shows Flemish influence in the
form of its octagonal upper part, something not unusual for this
The rest of the church dates from ca. 1450, and replaced an
earlier church. It's mostly in Brabant Gothic style and has a
clerestory, which is rather unusual for a village-church. It was built
as a cruciform church, with the transept being lower than the nave.
The church was badly damaged by fire during
the Eighty Years War; most likely, protestant troops had set the, then still
catholic church, on fire. In 1578 the remains of the church were confiscated by
the protestants. Within a decade it was rebuilt, although the government demanded that inside of the
church nothing was allowed to remind of the former catholic use of the building. It seems even the graves of catholics
were removed. Although the choir was rebuilt as well, it was probably demolished
again in 1778. The opening that thus resulted was closed with a wall, in
which a window was made.
From 1971 until 1975 the church was restored under the supervision of
architect L.H.H. van der Kloot. This included the replacement of
several weakened pillars and repairs to the walls.