Click here to go to the main page

Sint Kruis (Z): reformed church



The oldest reference to a parish in Sint Kruis dates from 1296. A first church was built a bit to the north of the current one, and disappeared in the sea in 1583. This second church was founded in the 14th century. The tower dates from that period. In 1467 and 1483 the church was enlarged into a three-aisled cruciform Gothic building. During the 80-Years War the church was badly damaged, and in 1652 only a part of it was repaired for protestant use. Of the church only the tower and the central aisle remain. The arches between the central nave and the side-aisles were closed with windows. The nave was shortened and closed with a straight wall.






Back to Churches in the province of Zeeland

Back to Sluis municipality