Click here to go to the main page

Wemeldinge (Z): reformed church

 

 

 

The church of Wemeldinge until the Reformation was named St. Maarten. The tower is the oldest part of the church and shows Flemish influences in style. The corner-turrets at the top were removed in 1607, while the brick spire was replaced by the current one in 1611. Originally the church had a three-aisled nave, which probably early-15th century was heightened and transformed into a one-aisled nave, the current northern aisle. The choir dates from ca. 1400. In ca. 1530 the southern aisle was built.
Architect J. Verheul restored the church in 1898. During this restoration many traces of the history of the church were destroyed. Verheul added a new entrance in the back of the choir, which was again removed in 1987-1989, and covered the nave with plaster vaults.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to Churches in the province of Zeeland

Back to the Province of Zeeland