Kerk or Adrianuskerk
history of the Old
Church or St.Adrianus goes back to the 12th century, although of the
original church nothing is left. It must have been a Romanesque,
probably basilical, church built of tuff. In the 13th century the
current tower was built, which is Romanesque as well but built of brick
instead. Originally it was one segment shorter; the current upper part
was added in the late-15th century.
The church was extended with a transept in ca. 1350. After a fire
destroyed the church in 1472, a new nave and choir in Gothic style were
built while the transept was heightened. Tuff from the destroyed old
nave was used for the lower parts of the choir and the sacristy that
was built on its south side. In ca. 1500 chapels were buikt on both
sides of the tower,making the
church look like a hall-church when seen front the front. In its
current form the
church is a big
pseudo-basilica, consisting of a wide three-aisled nave, a fairly
narrow transept and a choir with the same width as the central aisle.
The church was restored in 1933-1935 by H. van der Kloot Meijburg, who
added the portal to the, until then, closed tower.