Architects: J.G.C. Franssen (1893-1968)
Joseph Gustave Constant Franssen was born in Roermond on April 15, 1893 as the eldest son of prominent catholic architect Caspar Franssen (1860-1932).  After finishing primary school he continued his education at the Episcopal College of Roermond. He moved to Delft in 1911 to study at the Technical College, but due to the outbreak of the First World War had to interrupt his studies and served as a second lieutenant in the infantry. He finally graduated in 1923 as a structural engineer. 

Already before graduating he had been working with his father Caspar at his office in Roermond, a partnership that lasted until this father died in 1932. In the same period he also had several assignments of his own.

He shared his father's preference for  religious architecture and traditional construction, taking a special pride in vaults. While cooperating with his father the neo-Gothic and neo-Romanesque styles were gradually replaced by Traditionalism and it is very likely that several designs of this period that are attributed to father and son were mostly or exclusively designed by the latter, such as the churches of Herpt (1924) and Reek (1925). Interestingly, in his first works of his own Expressionism was also present. In this part of his career he was commissioned several times by the order of the Passionists to design and construct monasteries and churches.  

Working under his own name Joseph built some 40 churches, mainly in the south-eastern part of the country and mostly in the province of Limburg. This number includes many of his father's churches, and some of his own, that needing rebuilding after the war. In the Roermond diocese he also built several schools. During his career his work was mostly neglected in the (Catholic) architectural press.

For health reasons Franssen retired in 1960 and left his office to architect Jos van der Pluijm (1916-1995). He died on July the 4th 1968.

The following is a list of churches attributed to J.G.C. Franssen, excluding all works he designed in conjunction with his father. It is probably not yet complete.
1924-1925 Boekel (NB): church St. Agatha

Three-aisled basilica in Expressionist style.  
1925-1926 Putbroek-Diergaarde (L): church O.L. Vrouw Moeder der H. Hoop

Aisleless and towerless church in Expressionist style, with pointed gables at the sides. Commissioned by the Fathers Passionists. The name of the village changed to Maria Hoop in 1952.   
1927 Oost-Maarland (L): church St. Jozef

Three-aisled basilica in Traditionalist style with Expressionist elements.
1928 Haastrecht (ZH): church St. Gabriël

Church for the Passionist monastery, an aisleless cruciform church in Traditionalist style. Franssen designed and built the monastery in 1921-1922.
1928 Beringe (L): church St. Jozef

Aisleless cruciform church in Expressionist style. Badly damaged in 1944 and rebuilt after the war by Franssen with a taller tower.
1929 Puth (L): church H. Petrus Canisius

Three-aisled cruciform basilica in Tradionalist style with Expressionist elements.
1930 Gennep (L): enlargement church St. Martinus

Addition of a children chapel. Destroyed in 1944.
1931-1932 Asenray (L): church O.L. Vrouw van Goede Raad

Three-aisled cruciform pseudo-basilica in Traditionalist style. Largely destroyed in 1944 and rebuilt in 1947-1948.
1932-1933 Brachterbeek (L): church H. Hart

Aisleless church in Traditionalist style.
1932 Baarlo (L): enlargement church St. Petrus

Larger choir for P.J.H. Cuypers' church of 1872. Destroyed in 1944.
1932-1933 Hegelsom (L): church St. Hubertus

Three-aisled cruciform basilica in Traditionalist style.
1933-1934 Molenhoek (L): church O.L. Vrouw van Zeven Smarten

Three-aisled cruciform basilica for a Passionist monastery, incorporating the monastery chapel of 1926 (arch. W.A. Molengraaff) as a sacristy
1935 Casteren (NB): enlargement church St. Willibrordus

Addition of side-aisles to C.J.H. Franssen's neo-Romanesque church of 1908.
1935 Boukoul (L): church H. Theresia van het kind Jezus

Three-aisled cruciform pseudo-basilica in Traditionalist style.
1935-1936 Ittervoort (L): St. Margarita

Aisleless church in Traditionalist style, incorporating a neo-Gothic tower. Originally painted white.
1937 Horst (L): chapel for a hospital

Chapel in Traditionalist style.
1939 Soesterberg (U): convent Cenakel

Complex in Traditionalist style, with chapel.

1939-1940 Roermond (L): church St. Jacobus Major

Small aisleless church in Traditionalist style.
1947-1948 Egchel (L):  church St. Jacobus de Meerdere

Aisleless church in Traditionalist style.
1947-1951 Lottum (L): church St. Gertrudis

Three-aisled pseudo-basilica, largely modelled afterbthe destroyed Gothic predecessor. Tower built in 1959.
1948-1949 Laar (L): church H.H. Hiëronymus en Antonius

Three-aisled basilica in Traditionalist style. A tower was part of the design but was never built.
1948-1949 Buggenum (L): church St. Aldegundis

Three-aisled pseudo-basilica in Traditionalist style, incorporting he Gothic choir of the destroyed predecessor. Tower built in 1959.
1951-1952 Beegden (L): church St. Martinus

Three-aisleds cruciform church in Traditionalist style.  
1953 Ell (L): enlargement church H. Antonius Abt

Extension and rebuilding of the tower of C. Franssen's Neo-Romanesque basilica of 1912.
1953-1954 Grathem (L): enlargement church St. Severinus

Addition of a second nave square on the old one, replacing the side-aisle of 1929.
1953-1954 Sweikhuizen (L): enlargement church H.H. Dionysius en Odilia

New choir, transept and sacristy in a matching style added to a Baroque church (1739).
1954-1956 Melick (L): St. Andreas

Three-aisled pseudo-basilica in Traditionalist style, with square crossing-tower.
1952 Beringe (L): tower for church St. Jozef

New and bigger tower for the church of 1927 which had been destroyed in 1944.
1959 Born (L): enlargement church St. Martinus

Addition of a transept and sacristy to C.J.G. Franssen's church of 1907.
Back to Architects