Click here to go to the main page

Uithuizen (Gr): reformed church



The old church of Uithuizen, before the Reformation called St. Jacobus de Meerdere like the current catholic church, is a two-aisled building with a tower and a three-sided choir. The lower part of the tower dates from the 12th century and was built of tuff coming from a demolished previous church. The tower was probably heightened to its current size in 1679-1681. A little behind the tower a one-aisled nave was built in ca. 1250. The current choir was added in ca. 1450 and in 1793-1794 the church was extended with the northern side-aisle while the tower and the nave were connected. In the early 17th century pointed windows were added to the choir and the south side of the nave. in the early 20th century the church was plastered. The plaster was again removed during a restoration in 1972-1977.











Back to Churches in the province of Groningen

Back to Uithuizen