reformed church or St. Martinuskerk
reformed church, a simple late-Gothic cruciform basilican church dating
from the second half of the 15th century, is probably the best
preserved medieval church in the western part of the province of
Noord-Brabant. As a catholic church it was dedicated to St. Martinus.
The oldest part of the church is the tower, which is from the 14th
century, except for the upper segment which is in a completely
different style and was added in the 15th century, like most of the
rest of the church. The way the side-aisles continue along the tower
indicates that a new tower was originally intended to be build several
more metres to the west, and that this tower was to be demolished. The
pillars and arches in this part of the southern side-aisle confirm this
theory. When this plan was abandoned the old tower was simply
The choir dates from 1457 and is remarkably lower than the rest of the
church. It was built on the remains of an earlier choir; the different
periods are recognizable by the two different types of brick that were
used. The nave and the side-aisles were built in the third quarter of
the 15th century and, as already said, were intended to be bigger.
Between 1495 and 1502 the transept was added. This seems to have been a
bit of an afterthought, judging from a window in the clerestory that
had to be filled in. It's also much lower than the nave.
The St. Martinus came in the hands of the protestants in the
17th century and was returned to the catholics in 1799, who took it in
use again in 1802 after a major restoration. In 1910 however they had
themselves built a new church, the St.
Quirinus. The goverment thankfully bought the building in 1914, and
thus prevented the plans to demolish the old church. After having been
used for other purposes it returned in the hands of the protestants in
1962, more than fifty years after the catholics had decided they no
longer wanted it. A strange twist of history.