Leende (NB): St.
1974 the village of Leende celebrated the 500th birthday of its
church, the St. Petrus' Banden. In 1474 the nave and transept
were completed. The choir however appears to be older, and maybe
was built in ca. 1400. The church however was founded much earlier,
and is first mentioned in 1285.
The tower was probably built shortly before the nave. It's in
Campine Gothic style, a style many old towers in this part of
the province are in. Typical for this style are the decorative
blind niches and the diagonally positioned buttresses. One of
these buttresses is part of a polygonal stair-turret.
The nave is in a style that's closely related to Mosan Gothicism,
a variant of Gothicism that is much more common in the southern
part of the province of Limburg. The use of this style so far
from that region can be explained by the fact that Leende in
that time was in possession of the lord of Horn (L). Especially
the interior has many elements of this style, like the capitals
on the pillars and the ribs of the vaults, while outside only
the small windows in the clerestorey are visible characteristics.
During the Reformation in the 17th century he church was confiscated
by the protestant minority. In 1798 the church returned into
the hands of the catholics. There were only seven protestants
left in the village, and there hadn't been services in years.
The objections of the priests about the costs were overruled
by the members of the parish.
In 1902-1905 the tower was restored by J.Th.J.
Cuypers. To prevent it from collapsing it was strengthened.
The western entrance had to be completely renewed. The same architect
restored the transept and choir in 1916-1917. Both parts were
heightened and the transept was vaulted in stone. In 1939-1941
chapels were added in the choir between transept and choir, designed
by C. Geenen.