(J. & Th. Stuivinga, 1927)
originally reformed church was simply named after its neighbourhood,
Lasonder. Although the first plans to build a church in this
neighbourhood were made in the 1880's, it took some forty years before
they were realized.
The Lasonderkerk was designed by the brothers J. and Th. Stuivinga (or
Stuyvinga), architects in Zeist. The church is largely in an
style closely related to the Amsterdam School, but with
influences from Scandinavian architecture.
The church has a centralizing cruciform ground plan with a wide
transept with large pointed windows, while the rest of the church has
small rectangular windows only. The walls of the nave and the transept
have buttresses, which in the case of the transept are integrated in
the biggest walls. The crossing is crowed with a hexagonal turret,
which serves for ventilation. At the north side, at the front of the
church, is a tall tower. At its front is the main portal, which is
In 1970 the original reformed users sold the church to another
calvinistic denomination, the Nederlands Gereformeerde Kerk. In
December 2000 an explosion in a fireworks warehouse destroyed the
Roombeek neighborhood just north of the church, which itself suffered
some damage too. However, it was soon put back into use. In 2010 the
tower was restored.